Welcome to my home page
Shakhawat Hossain, Ph.D.
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
University of Winnipeg
Winnipeg, MB R3B 2E9
Office: 6L22 Lockhart Hall
Telephone: (204) 786-9492
See my CV
Ph.D. in Statistics, University of Windsor, Canada, June 2008.
M. Sc. in Statistics, University of Alberta, Canada, December 2002.
M.Sc. in Mathematics, Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1994.
B.Sc. in Mathematics, Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1993.
1. Survival analysis and event history
2. James-Stein shrinkage and Pretest methods
3. Longitudinal data analysis
4. Joint modeling of longitudinal and survival data
5. Penalty methods
6. Health services/outcome research
STAT-1302-003 (Winter 2019): Statistical analysis II
STAT-4202-001 (Fall 2018): Statistical inference
STAT-1401-001 (Fall 2018): Statistics for Economics, Business and Social Sciences I
STAT-3104-001 (Winter 2017): Statistics in Research II
Current research funding:
NSERC Discovery Grant (2019-2024), Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
NSERC Discovery Grant (2013-2019), Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
1. Sabrina Islam, Ph.D. student, Natural Resources Institute, University of Manitoba, MB.
2. Le An Lac, Undergraduate student, University of Winnipeg, MB.
3. Jody L. Krahn, Undergraduate student, University of Winnipeg, MB.
1. Trevor Thomson, Ph.D. student, Simon Fraser University, BC.
2. Bartholomew Ghanney M.Sc. in Statistics, 2015, Assistant Actuarial Analyst, Wawanesa, Winnipeg, MB.
3. Ashish Kumar Tripathi (M.Sc. in Applied Computer Science, 2015, IT Consultant, Integrationworx, Winnipeg, MB.
4. Ian Heibert, Mathematical Statistician, Statistics Canada.
5. Skylar Nicol, Actuarial Analyst, Wawanesa, Winnipeg, MB.
6. Adegoke Adeola, M.Sc. in Statistics, 2018, University of Regina, SK.
7. Salma Saad, Ph.D. in Statistics, University of Regina, SK.
Summer colloquium on statistical software R
Lecture notes on R beginners
34) Saad, S., Hossain, S. and Volodin, A. (2019) Asymptotic Analysis of Method of Moments Estimators of Both Parameters for the Binomial Distribution: Theoretical Part-Submitted.
33) Islam, S., Haque, C. E., Hossain, S. and Hanesiak, J. (2019) Climate variability, dengue vector abundance and dengue fever cases in Dhaka, Bangladesh: A time-series study. Submitted to PLoS Medicine.
32) Islam, S., Haque, C. E., Hossain, S. and Walker, D. (2019) Association among ecological and behavioural attributes, dengue vector, and disease control: a cross-sectional study of the city of Dhaka, Bangladesh. Accepted to International Health.
31) Hossain, S. and Khan, S. A. (2019). Shrinkage estimation of the exponentiated Weibull regression model for time-to-event data-submitted.
30) Islam, S., Haque, C. E., Hossain, S. , Rochon, K. (2019). Role of container type, behavioural, and ecological factors in Aedes pupal production in Dhaka, Bangladesh: An application of zero-inflated negative binomial model. Acta Tropica, Vol 193, 2019, Pages 50-59.
29) Hossain, S. and Hiebert, I. (2019). Estimation strategy of multilevel model for ordinal longitudinal data. Japanese Journal of Statistics and Data Science.
28) Lac, L. A. and Hossain, S. (2018). Non-penalty shrinkage estimation of linear models for longitudinal data with random effects and AR(1) errors. Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation, 88(16) 3230-3247.
27) Norouzirad, M., Hossain, S. and Arashi, M.(2018). Shrinkage and penalized estimators in weighted least absolute deviations regression models. Journal of statistical computation and simulation, 88(8) 1557-1575.
26) Hossain, S., Thomson, T. and Ahmed S.E.(2018). Shrinkage estimation in linear mixed models for longitudinal data. Metrika, 81(5), 569-586.
25) Thomson, T.and Hossain, S. (2018). Efficient shrinkage for generalized linear mixed models under linear restrictions. Sankhya A: The Indian Journal of Statistics, 80(2), 385-410.
24) Salman, M., Hossain, S., Alqublan, L. and Bunge, M. (2018). Cerebellar radiological abnormalities in children with neurofibromatosis type 1: Part 1 - Clinical and neuroimaging findings. Cerebellum & Ataxias.
23) Salman, M., Hossain, S., Gorun, S., Alqublan, L. and Bunge, M. (2018). Cerebellar radiological abnormalities in children with neurofibromatosis type 1: Part 2 - A neuroimaging natural history study with clinical correlations. Cerebellum & Ataxias.
22) Chowdhury, P. D., Haque, C. E., Paul, K. K., Hossain, S., Lindsey, R., Dibernardo, A., Brooks, A. and Drebot, M. A. (2017). Dengue Seroprevalence, Seroconversion and Risk Factors in Dhaka, Bangladesh. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases
21) Hossain, S. and Howlader, H. (2017). Shrinkage estimation in lognormal regression model for censored data. Journal of Applied Statistics, 44(1), 162-180
20) Thomson, T., Hossain, S. and Ghahramani, M. (2016). Efficient estimation for time series following generalized linear models. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Statistics, 58(4), 493-513
19) Hossain, S. and Ghahramani, M. (2016). Shrinkage Estimation of Linear Regression Models with GARCH Errors. Journal of Statistical Theory and Applications, 15(4), 405-423
18) Hossain, S. and Ahmed, S. E., Yi, Y. and Chen, B. (2016). Shrinkage and pretest estimators for longitudinal data analysis under partially linear models. Journal of Nonparametric Statistics, 28(3), 531-549.
17) Parnali, P. D., Hoque, C. M. Lindsay, R. and Hossain, S. (2016).
Socioeconomic and Ecological Factors Influencing Aedes
aegypti Abundance and Distribution in Dhaka, Bangladesh.American Journal of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene, 94(6), 1223-33
16) Hossain, S. and Howlader, H. A. (2015). Estimation Techniques for Regression Model with zero-inflated Poisson Data. International Journal of Statistics and Probability, 4(4), 64-76.
15) Tripathi, A. Hossain, S., Singh, V. K., and Atrey, P. K.(2015) Assessing personality using demographic information from social media data. Regular paper at 2015 Social Media & Society Conference (SMSociety'15), Toronto, Canada, July 2015.
14) Hossain, S. , Ahmed, S. E. and Doksum, K. A. (2015). Shrinkage, pretest, and penalty estimators in generalized linear models.. Statistical Methodology, 24, 52-68.
13) Thomson, T., Hossain, S. and Ghahramani, M. (2015). Application of shrinkage estimation in linear regression models with autoregressive errors. Journal of statistical computation and simulation. 85(16), 3335-3351.
12) Chowdhury, P.D., Haque, C.E., Driedger, S. M. and Hossain, S. (2014). Community perspectives of dengue transmission in the City of Dhaka, Bangladesh, International Health. International Health, 6(4), 306-316
11) Hossain, S. and Ahmed, S. E. (2014). Shrinkage estimation and selection for a logistic regression model, CRM proceedings-contemporary mathematics, Volume 622.
10) Hossain, S. and Ahmed, S. E. (2014). Penalized and Shrinkage Estimation in the Cox Proportional Hazards Model. Communications in Statistics-Theory and Methods, 43(5), 1026-1040.
9) Hossain, S., Ahmed, S. E. and Howlader, H. A. (2012). Model selection and Parameter Estimation of a Multinomial Logistic Regression Model. Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation, 84(7), 1412-1426
8) Li, X., Hilsden, R., Hossain, S., Fleming, J. and Winget, M. (2012). Validation of Administrative Data Sources for Endoscopy Utilization in Colorectal Cancer Diagnosis. BMC - Health Services Research, 12, 358-365.
7) Hossain, S. and Ahmed, S. E. (2012). Shrinkage and Penalty Estimators of a Poisson Regression Model. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Statistics, 54(3), 359-373 .
6) Ahmed, S. E. Hossain, S., and Doksum, K. A. (2012). LASSO and shrinkage estimation in Weibull censored regression models. Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 12(6), 1273-1284. (This paper was ranked at 7th position among the top 25 hottest articles (January to December (2012) in Decision Sciences) .
5) Winget, M., Hossain, S., Yasui, Y. and Scarfe, A. (2010). Characteristics of Patients with Stage III Colon Adenocarcinoma Who Fail to Receive Guideline-Recommended Treatment. CANCER, 116 (20), 4849-4856.
4) Ahmed, S. E., Raheem, E. and Hossain, S. (2010). Absolute Penalty Estimation. International Encyclopedia of Statistical Science. Link: http://www.springer.com/statistics/book/978-3-642-04897-5.
3) Hossain, S., Doksum, K. and Ahmed, S. E. (2009). Positive-part shrinkage and Absolute Penalty Estimators in Partially Linear Models. Linear Algebra and its Applications, 430, 2749-2761.
2) Ahmed, S. E., Doksum, K., Hossain, S. and You, J. (2007). Shrinkage, Pretest and Absolute Penalty Estimators in Partially Linear Models. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Statistics, 49(4), 2007, 435-454.
1) Kozak, M., Gozdowski, D., Hossain, S., Ahmed, S. E., Laudanski, Z. and Wyszynski, Z. (2006). Canonical correlations in studying grain yield and protein content as affected by yield components: An ontogenetic approach. Plant Breeding and Seed Science, 54, 17-27.