Welcome to my home page
Shakhawat Hossain, Ph.D.
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
University of Winnipeg
Winnipeg, MB R3B 2E9
Office: 6L22 Lockhart Hall
Telephone: (204) 786-9492
See my CV
Ph.D. in Statistics, University of Windsor, Canada, June 2008.
M. Sc. in Statistics, University of Alberta, Canada, December 2002.
M.Sc. in Mathematics, Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1994.
B.Sc. in Mathematics, Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1993.
1. Health services/outcome research
2. Survival analysis and event history
3. James-Stein shrinkage and Pretest methods, LASSO, ALASSO, and SCAD
4. Longitudinal data analysis
5. Linear and generalized linear mixed models
Current research funding:
NSERC Discovery Grant (2013-2018), Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
1. Trevor Thomson, M.Sc. student, Simon Fraser University
2. Bartholomew Ghanney M.Sc. in Statistics, 2015), Predictive Analyst, Fireseeds North infrastructure, Winnipeg, MB
3. Ashish Kumar Tripathi (M.Sc. in Applied Computer Science, 2015), Data analyst, New Flyer, Winnipeg, MB.
Summer colloquium on statistical software R
Lecture notes on R beginners
STAT-3104-001 (Winter 2017): Statistics in Research II
STAT-1501-006 (Winter 2017): Elementary Biostatistics I
STAT-4202-001 (Winter 2014): Statistical inference
STAT-4601-001 (Winter 2014): Statistical design of experiments
STAT-3611-001 (Fall 2013): Mathematical Statistics I
STAT-2501-001 (Winter 2013): Statistical Quality Control
STAT-3104-001 (Winter 2013): Statistics in Research II
STAT-1501-002 (Fall 2012): Elementary Biostatistics I
24) Hossain, S. and Thomson, T. (2017). Shrinkage estimation in linear mixed models for longitudinal data--submitted.
23) Thomson, T.and Hossain, S. (2017). Efficient shrinkage for generalized linear mixed models under linear restrictions--Accepted to Sankhya A .
22) Chowdhury, P. D., Haque, C. E., Paul, K. K., Hossain, S., Lindsey, R., Dibernardo, A., Brooks, A. and Drebot, M. A. (2017). Dengue Seroprevalence, Seroconversion and Risk Factors in Dhaka, Bangladesh. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases
21) Thomson, T., Hossain, S. and Ghahramani, M. (2016). Efficient estimation for time series following generalized linear models. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Statistics, 58(4), 493-513
20) Hossain, S. and Ghahramani, M. (2016). Shrinkage Estimation of Linear Regression Models with GARCH Errors. Journal of Statistical Theory and Applications, Vol. 15, No. 4, 405-423
19) Hossain, S. and Howlader, H. (2017). Shrinkage estimation in lognormal regression model for censored data. Journal of Applied Statistics, Vol. 44, No. 1, 162–180
18) Hossain, S. and Ahmed, S. E., Yi, Y. and Chen, B. (2016). Shrinkage and pretest estimators for longitudinal data analysis under partially linear models. Journal of Nonparametric Statistics, Vol. 28, No. 3, 531-549.
17) Parnali, D., Hoque, C. M. Lindsay, R. and Hossain, S. (2016).
Socioeconomic and Ecological Factors Influencing Aedes
aegypti Abundance and Distribution in Dhaka, Bangladesh.American Journal of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene. Jun 1; 94(6):1223-33
16) Hossain, S. and Howlader, H. A. (2015). Estimation Techniques for Regression Model with zero-inflated Poisson Data. International Journal of Statistics and Probability, 4(4), 64-76.
15) Tripathi, A. Hossain, S., Singh, V. K., and Atrey, P. K.(2015) Assessing personality using demographic information from social media data. Regular paper at 2015 Social Media & Society Conference (SMSociety'15), Toronto, Canada, July 2015.
14) Hossain, S. , Ahmed, S. E. and Doksum, K. A. (2015). Shrinkage, pretest, and penalty estimators in generalized linear models.. Statistical Methodology, 24, 52-68.
13) Thomson, T., Hossain, S. and Ghahramani, M. (2015). Application of shrinkage estimation in linear regression models with autoregressive errors. Journal of statistical computation and simulation. 85(16), 3335--3351.
12) Parnali Dhar Chowdhury, C. Emdad Haque, S. Michelle Driedger, and Shakhawat Hossain (2014). Community perspectives of dengue transmission in the City of Dhaka, Bangladesh, International Health. International Health
11) Hossain, S. and Ahmed, S. E. (2014). Shrinkage estimation and selection for a logistic regression model, CRM proceedings-contemporary mathematics, Volume 622.
10) Hossain, S. and Ahmed, S. E. (2014). Penalized and Shrinkage Estimation in the Cox Proportional Hazards Model. Communications in Statistics-Theory and Methods, 43(5), 1026-1040.
9) Hossain, S., Ahmed, S. E. and Howlader, H. A. (2012). Model selection and Parameter Estimation of a Multinomial Logistic Regression Model. Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation, 84(7), 1412-1426
8) Li, X., Hilsden, R., Hossain, S., Fleming, J. and Winget, M. (2012). Validation of Administrative Data Sources for Endoscopy Utilization in Colorectal Cancer Diagnosis. BMC - Health Services Research , 12, 358 - 365.
7) Shakhawat Hossain and S. Ejaz Ahmed (2012). Shrinkage and Penalty Estimators of a Poisson Regression Model. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Statistics, 54(3), 359 - 373 .
6) S. Ejaz Ahmed, Shakhawat Hossain, and Kjell A. Doksum (2012). LASSO and shrinkage estimation in Weibull censored regression models. Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 12(6), 1273-1284. (This paper was ranked at 7th position among the top 25 hottest articles (January to December (2012) in Decision Sciences) .
5) Winget, M., Hossain, S., Yasui, Y. and Scarfe, A. (2010). Characteristics of Patients with Stage III Colon Adenocarcinoma Who Fail to Receive Guideline-Recommended Treatment. CANCER, 116 (20), 4849-4856.
4) Ahmed, S. E., Raheem E. and Hossain, S. (2010). Absolute Penalty Estimation. International Encyclopedia of Statistical Science. Link: http://www.springer.com/statistics/book/978-3-642-04897-5.
3) Hossain, S., Doksum, K. and Ahmed, S. E. (2009). Positive-part shrinkage and Absolute Penalty Estimators in Partially Linear Models. Linear Algebra and its Applications, 430, 2749-2761.
2) Ahmed, S. E., Doksum, K., Hossain, S. and You, J. (2007). Shrinkage, Pretest and Absolute Penalty Estimators in Partially Linear Models. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Statistics, 49(4), 2007, 435-454.
1) Kozak, M., Gozdowski, D., Hossain, S., Ahmed, S. E., Laudanski, Z. and Wyszynski, Z. (2006). Canonical correlations in studying grain yield and protein content as affected by yield components: An ontogenetic approach. Plant Breeding and Seed Science, 54, 17-27.