Lectures MWF 9:30-10:20AM in 3M65
|Dr. Andrew Frey
a dot frey at uwinnipeg dot ca
For questions about marking only
|Office Hours W2:30-3:30PM or by appointment|
This is the course homepage for the winter semester only of PHYS-3301, Quantum Mechanics I.
I welcome feedback and comments on the course. If you're more comfortable commenting anonymously, leave me a note in my mailbox in the department office (3L00A).
- Required: Introduction to the Relativity Principle by Barton
- Required: An Introduction to Quantum Physics by French and Taylor
- Supplementary: Quantum Mechanics by Scherrer
- Supplementary: These notes by Hogg
In addition, some extra reading (from other texts, journal articles, etc) may be assigned.
Important Dates for Winter Term
- First Winter Lecture: Jan 5, 2018
- Voluntary Withdrawal Date: Feb 14, 2018
- Review Sessions:
- Feb 14, 2018, 12:30-1PM, room 2L14
- Feb 15, 2018, 10:30-11AM, room 2L14
- In-Class Test: Feb 16, 2018, in class
- Reading Week: Feb 18-24, 2018 (university closed Feb 19)
- University Closed (no class): March 30, 2018
- Last Regular Lecture: April 4, 2018
- Make-Up Day: April 5, 2018
- Review Session: April 10, 2018, 1:30-2:30PM, room 2L14
- Final Exam: April 11, 2018, 9AM-12PM, room 3M65
TBA in winter
The reading will be very important for your general education, so please keep up! Please note that this is a rough schedule, subject to change depending on how quickly we move in class, so watch for updates. If you click on the topics, you will find scanned copies of my lecture notes.
|5-10 Jan||Momentum and Angular Momentum Wavefunctions||Griffiths §2.4, 4.1.2, 4.3.2; Ohanian §2.2 here|
|12-19 Jan||Quantum Statistics||Griffiths §5.4|
|22-29 Jan||Galilean Relativity||Barton §2.1-4|
|31 Jan -2 Feb||Einsteinian Relativity||Barton §3.1-3; suggested: §3.4, Hogg §1.2-3, §2.1-2, § 2.5|
|5-9 Feb||Lorentz Transformations and Spacetime I||Barton Chapter 4 except §4.2.4,5; suggested: Hogg §4.1-3, chapter 2, §3.3,4|
|9-14 Feb||Lorentz Transformations and Spacetime (Part II)||Barton Chapter 5; suggested: Hogg §3.1, §4.1, §5.2,3|
|16 Feb||In-Class Test||Cover Sheet, solution removed|
|26 Feb - 2 Mar||Velocities & 4-Vectors: Particle Velocities||Barton §4.2.4, 6.2; suggested: Hogg §4.4|
|2-7 Mar||Velocities & 4-Vectors: 4-Vectors & Tensors I||Barton §7.1; appendix B|
|7-12 Mar||Velocities & 4-Vectors: 4-Vectors & Tensors II||Hartle §5.1 (here); Barton §7.1,4; appendix B|
|12-14 Mar||Velocities & 4-Vectors: 4-Velocity||Hartle §5.2 (here); Barton §7.2; appendix B|
|14-19 Mar||Relativistic Dynamics: 4-Momentum||Barton §9.1-3|
|19-23 Mar||Relativistic Dynamics: Collisions & Decays||Barton §11.1-4|
|23-26 Mar||Natural Units||Barton chapter 10|
|26 Mar - 4 Apr||The Doppler Effect||Barton §2.5.4, §12.2, §13.3-5; suggested: Hogg §6.9, §7.1|
|4-5 Apr||Intro to General Relativity||None|
|10 Apr||Review Session||1:30-2:30PM, Room 2L14|
|11 Apr||Exam||Formula Sheet, solution removed|
Please see the course outline for the official statement of homework policies. The following are guidelines for the winter:
- Assignments will only be posted on this web page, NOT handed out in class!
- Assignments are due one week after they are assigned, with due dates listed on this web page. They are due by 10:59PM on the due date to the dropbox outside room 2L26. Make sure to label your assignment with your name and "QMI."
- Collaboration is allowed, but you must write up your own solutions independently (in your own words).
- Late assignments will only be accepted with prior permission from the instructor.
- Assignments that are not neatly organized and written will receive zero credit (one warning allowed). Please see the course outline.
- If you find a mistake in grading, please see the instructor.
Assignments will appear here; solutions removed for security reasons.
- Assignment 1 due 17 Jan
- Assignment 2 due 24 Jan
- Assignment 3 due 31 Jan
- Assignment 4 due 7 Feb
- Assignment 5 due 14 Feb
- Assignment 6 due 28 Feb
- Assignment 7 due 7 Mar
- Assignment 8 due 14 Mar
- Assignment 9 due 21 Mar
- Assignment 10 due 28 Mar
- Assignment 11 due THURS 5 APR
- Assignment 12 NOT TO BE MARKED
Last updated: 15:32 on 10 Sep 2018